From Optina to the Catacombs


In one of the many popular books about Optina Monastery that appeared just before the Revolution, "On the Banks of God’s River", is a touching description of a holy child, the five-year-old son of Fr. (Saint) Anatole’s spiritual daughter. When pregnant with him she fervently prayed to her beloved St. Sergius of Radonezh, promising to dedicate the child to him. However, while attending St. Seraphim’s canonization in Sarov (1903), she felt the child leap in her womb, and she began to wonder whether she shouldn’t name the child Seraphim instead; but because of a dream she named the child Sergius (Serezha) after all. 

Five years later, “when Vera and Serezha were leaving our monastery I went to see them off. At that very time I saw that one of our most respected old monks, Father Anatole, was coming out to meet us. We approached him and bowed down to take his blessing. Serezha, putting his little hands forward, said, ‘Bless me, Batushka.’ Instead, the old monk himself bowed down low to Serezha, touching the ground with his hand, saying, ‘No, you first bless me.’ And to our astonishment the child put his fingers into the proper position and blessed the old monk with a priest’s blessing. What does the future hold for this boy?” concluded the author.

And the answer to this question, as witnessed by Natalia Urusova, a third of a century later, comes from Holy Catacomb Russia:

She writes: “When my sons were arrested in 1937 and banished by the GPU for ten years without right of correspondence, one can well imagine my sorrow. I shed many, many bitter tears, but not even in a single fleeting thought did I complain, but only sought consolation in church; and this could only be in the Catacomb Church, which I sought out everywhere, and by God’s mercy I always found it very quickly; and I poured out my grief to the true God-pleasing priests who celebrated catacomb services.

And so it was also when, after the arrest of my sons, I left Siberia for Moscow. My sister — who to my horror recognized the Soviet Church — had not been arrested, despite the fact that she had been a Lady-in-Waiting to the Empress. She directed me to a childhood friend of ours with whom she differed on church questions, since this friend was a fervent participant in catacomb services. This woman and other members of this holy catacomb Church greeted me with open arms.... I lived with my sister periodically and visited all the services, which took place in private houses in various parts of Moscow. 

There was a certain Father Anthony, an old hieromonk, who was our priest and spiritual father. I constantly heard him say: ‘As the Starets (Geronda, Elder) commands, whatever the Starets says,’ and the like. I asked Fr. Anthony where I might see this Starets in order to pour out my grief to him and receive comfort. Whenever he was mentioned it was with great reverence, and he was called an extraordinary holy man. ‘No,’ Fr. Anthony said, ‘that’s out of the question; I will tell him everything that you need from him.’ 

In 1941 I became acquainted with a lady in Mozhaisk who had been banished from Moscow because of the arrest of her husband and her only daughter. She was also a member of the Catacomb Church and had been the spiritual daughter of this Starets from the very first years of his priesthood. She told me that the Starets (she didn’t give his name) was staying now in a village two miles from Mozhaisk and that she secretly visited his services. To my question whether she couldn’t ask him to receive me she replied: ‘No, that isn’t possible; all the faithful have been denied this, since the GPU has been looking for him for 25 years, and he travels over the whole of Russia from one place to another, being evidently informed by the Holy Spirit whenever it is necessary to go.’ 

Of course I was saddened at this, but there was nothing I could do about it. The Feast of the Holy Trinity that year was on June 7. Just as nothing in life is due to chance, so was it now: I could not go to Moscow, and in sorrow I sat in my room alone on the eve of the Feast. And then I heard a light tapping at my window; I looked and was dumbfounded. An old nun was tapping, and she was dressed as a nun, in spite of the fact that it was strictly forbidden to wear such garb. It was towards evening. I opened the door and she came in to me with the words, ‘The Starets, Father Seraphim, invites you to come to him early tomorrow morning, and if you wish you can confess and receive the Holy Mysteries.’ She showed me which road to take and told me to be careful.

Before the village itself there was a rye field already in full ear, and she advised me to walk bent down. The back road through this field led right up to the hut where the Starets was staying, and right opposite, across the road, was the GPU station. One can imagine my feelings after the nun, so affable with her radiant face, left. She was called Mother N. There were two nuns with the Starets; the other one was called Mother V. They were always with him. The Starets would stay peacefully at one place for as long as two months or so, and then entirely unexpectedly, at any hour of the day or night, would suddenly say: ‘Well, it’s time to go!’ And he and the nuns would put on rucksacks, which contained all the objects for church services, and immediately leave in any direction, until the Starets would stop and enter some hut or other, evidently by inspiration from Above.

“Early in the morning I set out, walking not on the street but, as had been indicated to me, on the dirt road which led to the back door. Before me was a wondrous monk, not at all old. I have no words to describe his holy appearance; the feeling of reverence before him can’t be communicated. I received confession and it was wonderful. After the Divine service and my reception of the Holy Mysteries, he invited me to eat with him. Besides myself there were the lady I mentioned above, the two nuns, and another of his spiritual daughters who had come from Moscow. Oh, the mercy of God! I shall never forget the discourse of which he deemed me worthy, and which continued for several hours. Two days after this spiritual happiness which I experienced while visiting Father Seraphim, I found out from that lady that on the next day, while they were sitting at table, Father Seraphim stood up and said to the nuns: ‘Well, it’s time to go’ They instantly gathered themselves together and left, and within half an hour, no more, the GPU came looking for him; but the Lord had hidden him. Three months passed; the Germans were already in Mozhaisk when, suddenly, there was again a light tapping on the window, and the same Nun N. came in to me with the words:

‘Father Seraphim is in the town of Borovsk (40 miles from Moscow), and he sent me to give you his blessing; and he ordered me to reveal to you that he is the very Serezha before whom Father Anatole bowed down!”