A most Frightful and Revealing Dream

St. Victor of Glazov (left) and Fr. Gregory Popivanov (right)

A most frightful and revealing dream - from an underground leaflet distributed, in the 1930s, by Catacomb Nuns under St. Victor of Glazov:

“And I dreamt: above the churches of all the Saints, there were no crosses, but rather, the hammer and sickles were above the domes. I became frightened. I walked into one of the churches – oh my Lord: there wasn’t an icon to be seen – only portraits of Lenin and other leaders, and red flags. I thought – they have covered all of the Saints and made it into a club!

But no! I can see some priests and Bishops singing something. I listen and hear: "Glory to the Bolsheviks", but what it is I don’t know.

Then they sang: “arise accursed”... the vestments of the clergy are red. Gosh! I forgot that this was a red church... mind reeling I fled and ran to the Voskresensky cathedral seeking repentance from Father Gregory (Popivanov).

As I entered, he suddenly shouted: “It reeks of antichrist!” I thought – how far-seeing. And indeed, I gave off antichrist’s spirit. I was contaminated.

I threw myself at the feet of Father Gregory and he screamed: ‘Where were you? In the cursed church? Repent!’

I repent.

And then suddenly, everybody started to sing: ‘Anathema’ and everything became luminous, and a flame issued from his mouth, with a crown appearing over his head. It became very warm and I woke up”.